Monday, November 26, 2007

"Why is EVERYTHING due on the same date?!"

I don't know where to begin. But I will anyway. In the beginning of my gdes experience, I took each assignment on a day to day basis. For example, homework due on Thursday, I would do Wednesday night, and homework due on Monday, I would do Sunday night. Just like in high school, I wouldn't think about the assignment til the night before.

Bad idea.

One time crunch after another, I've realized that I can't simply isolate when it is design time and when it isn't. Design time is all the time. Which doesn't have to be a bad thing, you and I chose graphic design because we love it and we've got to embrace it. And so, time management is essential. Instead of work days, consider work weeks or work months. Example: "This week I have to finish my book so next week I can go out and have it bound." That's a little drastic, but sometimes gdes is drastic especially when you realize that you had procrastinated on two or three projects that are all due on the same due date...which is tomorrow. Managing time and putting in a certain amount of work on a consistent basis is so ideal, but if you do it, your sleeping pattern will thank you.

1 comment:

benja! said...

That's what design is all about...planning!