Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Survey says

I wonder if this image is bigger when you click on it. But anyway I took a poll on a random number of student in my classes today and here's what they said.

Some of these I agree with, some I can't relate (like the double major), and some I think need a little more explanation. Even though it is necessary to have a mac for gdes, I know someone who had a pc (but certainly had the adobe programs) for the first 2 semesters who did great work.

As for mind maps; I never thought stuff like that was important. Even in AFO and the last school I transfered from, I thought of my sketch book as a book for sketches. Meaning: that it was just a book to draw pictures and practice your perspective drawings. Your sketchbooks are like the origin of your projects so you should use it to it's potential. Seriously, if you have an idea, no matter how dumb you think it is, just write it down somewhere where you'll see it again later. The way I work with mind maps and other process work is, I have an idea and i write it down and then that idea triggers another idea thats just as good or even better, and then that idea spurs another, and so on and so on til I'm satisfied on my topic for, say, my next project. It'll exercise your creativity and keep a record of your ideas and plans. Also, it makes for a great conversation piece.

And using your hands is something I agree with. Only recently I've gotten back to drawing things by hand. Granted, I scan them into my computer to manipulate them on photoshop and illustrator. But. There is this personal quality when you use your hands to make something, like a drawing, or something handwritten, or sewn, or crafted. It's very enriching to know you've done something physically to progress into your project.

As for thinking about your portfolio. Yea, portfolio reviews are stressful. So, once you finish a project and there are still more things you want to fix to make it better for review, either do it then and there or make a record of what changes you want to make. Just write a note like, "change the color from blue to light blue, move the title to align with text" and store it with the project so when its time for review, you'll know how to manage. With all honesty, I don't do that. But now that I'm writing it, I think I will and I'm glad I came to that conclusion. See, ideas bring you to better ideas.

No comments: